Don’t Let Algae Party While You’re Away on Vacation
Getting ready to take advantage of some well-deserved vacation? You’ve packed your clothes, shoes, toiletries (including lots of sunblock), and made arrangements for your pup to stay at grandma’s. You’ve filled up your car with gas and have your agenda all planned out.
But, have you thought about EVERYTHING? Like the party potential algae growth is planning in your pool?
Be Proactive with these algae-avoiding tips before you go:
- Run your pump and filter a minimum of 12 hours a day. If you do not have a timer, run the pump and filter 24 hours a day.
- Backwash and vacuum your filter prior to leaving for vacation.
- Ensure the water level is high prior to being away for a few days.
- Shock the pool approximately twice as much as a normal treatment. Add an extra chlorine tablet or two to your floater if using a chlorine pool. Add a little extra sanitizer if using non-chlorine products.
- Apply an algaecide.
- Consider putting a safety cover over your pool while you’re away. If you do, make sure it is sturdy and securely fastened in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations.
- If you have a gate and fence around your pool, ensure the gate is securely locked.
- If you are going to be gone more than a week, considering having Bee Tree Spas and Pools service your pool while you’re away! Give us a call at (304) 753-4330 to schedule your service appointment!